Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

The best buttercream frosting

I am very happy to have Internet service again after days without it. I bet there is nothing everyone loves more than paying for a service that is not actually being received. Am I the only one that cannot work the new automated customer service 'representative'. I feel like I speak clearly but I still get... "I'm sorry. I cannot understand you. Please try again." Sigh....

But on a positive note, it's finally Friday! I was starting to wonder if it was never going to come. It's been beyond crazy at work this week so this momma is taking the night off from cooking and ordering a pizza for dinner. Today is also my sister's golden birthday. So Happy birthday Britt! :)

In honor of her birthday celebration this weekend, I'm sharing my very favorite frosting recipe today.  Let me tell you, I have done my fair share of experimenting over the last 5 years to find the best frosting recipe.  My aunt is a pretty amazing baker and her frosting is always delicious. The depressing part for me is that she doesn't have a recipe. She always dumps some powdered sugar, some vanilla, and some water (or milk?) in a bowl and adds things until it "looks right".   It's like magic.  I've tried and failed with that method many times and finally concluded that I am one of those who just needs a recipe. 

So the quest began for the perfect frosting.  I've tried a ton of recipes but always found that they were too buttery or too sweet or even the wrong consistency. Until this one. I use this recipe for sugar cookies, cakes, and cupcakes and it never has lead me astray. I've also added cocoa powder to it (to make chocolate frosting), peanut butter, mini chocolate chips, etc. and it works every time.


Wilton Buttercream Frosting Recipe

* 1/2 cup butter (I usually use light and still think the recipe is amazing)
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 4 cups of powdered sugar
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 2 tablespoons of milk

Cream together butter and shortening. Mix in vanilla. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add milk slowly to desired consistency. 


I usually use only about 1-2 tsp of milk when I use a frosting bag with a tip to decorate cakes or cupcakes but use more to achieve a thinner consistency to spread the frosting layer. If I'm going to color it, I use decorating gel because it doesn't affect the consistency. If you use regular food coloring drops, you will probably want to add less milk so it doesn't get too runny.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment