Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A new year... new resolutions

(I know I'm about 13 days late posting this but I'm playing catch up, remember?)
 
New Year's Eve was always a huge celebratory holiday when we were young and single. I always looked forward to the big parties in high school, college and the first few years into adulthood.  This year though, with two kids in bed Josh and I spent the evening on the couch with our DVR, a cranbrrita, and some snacks.  Really though, this was probably the 'coolest' we have been on NYE in years.  Last year we were in bed by 9:30 and back up again at midnight to see the ball drop with our crying 4 day old baby.  Two years ago, we had the worst stomach flu we have ever had and spent the entire evening on our respective bathroom floors.  Three years ago, I was literally 7 days away from giving birth to Caleb and didn't even want to move off the couch.  So really, in comparison, this NYE was awesome.

If you asked me what my New Year's resolutions were last year, I think it probably would have been literally to survive the first year with a newborn and a 2 year old.  If that were true, you could say we were successful.  It wasn't always pretty, but we all survived.  
 
This year, I have a few new goals that still include the above:

1) Obviously, first to spend more time with my children.  More time playing, more time engaged, more time teaching them, more time enjoying them.  But truly that’s probably nothing new, I think that is always my daily resolution.  Every night I go to bed, striving to be a better mother the next day and will continue to do so in this new year.
 
2) To improve my physical fitness. To tone my body to get back into a physical shape hopefully resembling that which I had before my two children.  I’m not even talking about the appearance of my body (I only wish!) but more the stamina to run long distances, the joy I had of being active.    
 
3) To read more books that are not meant for those 3 and under.  
 
4) To make huge strides and progress in our house we are updating.
 
5) To wake up earlier and use that time to start working on my to-do list. To use those really early morning hours when no one else is awake to get myself more organized and less stressed for the day. (This is assuming that 2014 will bring days that Eli actually sleeps past those early morning hours!)

Here's to 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment