Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pie Countdown

For as long as I can remember, Thanksgiving has been my very favorite holiday.  I do love me some Christmas, don't get me wrong, but there is something about gathering as a family where the sole purpose is to hang out and eat a huge meal that gives me a warm fuzzy.  Plus, who doesn't love the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?  I'm getting excited just talking about it.

A few years ago, I stumbled upon something that makes the Thanksgiving season and the month of November just that much more awesome.  Allrecipes.com Pie Countdown.  Every day in November up to Thanksgiving Day, they send an email with a new pie recipe.  Every year a few days before Thanksgiving, I look through all the recipes and choose one to make for Thanksgiving.  It's a little embarrassing how much I look forward to the new recipe every morning and shout the name down the stairs to my husband.  For some reason he doesn't quite show the same amount of enthusiasm as I do but I give him credit for playing along.

Just for fun and because I know you are dying to know, these are the pies I have made the past three years.

In 2010, I made Mile-High Peanut Butter Brownie Pie.  As you can imagine from the name alone, it was delightful.  However, that Thanksgiving I was pregnant with Caleb and this pie was a big undertaking for a woman who was 8 months pregnant.  It was worth it in the end but it was not a quick and easy pie to make.



In 2011, I made Pecan Pie. I loved this pie and it was really simple to make.  I'm usually not the biggest fan of nuts in my desserts but for this pie, I was glad I made an exception.



Last year, I made a simple Apple Crumble Pie.  Last Thanksgiving I was also 9 months pregnant and actually made this pie at 3:30 in the morning due to some hardcore pregnancy insomnia.  Luckily, I learned from my previous mistake and made an easy pie.  Easy but still really delicious.  Sometimes you just can't beat a simple apple pie on Thanksgiving.



So what will the pie of choice be for 2013?  I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment