Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

New house update: Exterior

As the name of this blog implies, I pretty much dabble in and have a reasonable amount of skill in a lot of areas.  I love to cook/bake, sew, craft, and will usually try anything DIY.  However, a green thumb I do not have.  I have fairly little interest in gardening and zero talent/patience for it.  I like how it looks when it is done but have pretty much no clue how to go about making it look that way. 

One of things we wanted to get done before it got too cold outside was to work on cleaning up the landscaping out front.  As I've mentioned before, we bought the house from a couple who weren't the greatest at home maintenance.  Everything outside was overgrown, half-dead, not cared for and made the whole front of the house look messy.  Every time I pulled up in front of the house, I cringed.  Luckily, my aunt and mom came up on a Saturday to help me, probably partially because they were tired of listening to me complain about it.  Thank goodness that they came and I didn't try to go it alone because it would have taken FOREVER.  We took out bags and bags and bags of dead plants and it took the 4 of us all Saturday to do.

The area around the mailbox at one time I would imagine, had 10-12 daylilies around it.  When we bought the house, the plants were overgrown and had been run over a million times by moving trucks. 



We decided to leave two plants on either side of the mailbox, dig up the rest, and fill the area with landscaping fabric and rock. 

 
 
It has a much nicer 'curb appeal' and will be so much easier to maintain. 
 
 
Up towards the house, we have some hostas and mums that were just so overgrown that none of the plants were getting enough nutrients to grow properly.  It drove me crazy that half of the plants had grown over the sidewalk and were being walked on daily. 
 

 
We dug out 2 whole bags of dead plants and I can already see that the ones remaining are starting to get some life back into them.  We also took down the old, falling apart flower boxes on the front porch which cleans it up a little bit.
 
 

 
Finally, we weren't big fans of the dark blue color of the front door and door trim so we painted it a cranberry color.  I'm not sold on it but it is growing on me.
 
 
We kind of ran out of nice weather this year to finish our work but we have plans to redo the landscaping on the side of the house and give the patio and deck out back a nice new coat of stain in the spring. 


No comments:

Post a Comment