Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

We're In

The last couple weeks have been a whirlwind of crazy and Josh and I are pretty much walking zombies at this point.  Stumbling over boxes as we walk around with our eyes closed.  We're in the new house and 'in' is sort of a relative term at this point because almost everything we own is still in boxes in the garage.  Most of the furniture is inside now and beds are set up (finally!) but drawers and cabinets are still empty. 
 

Why you ask since we have been technically living there for 4 days already?  I'll give you three reasons.  One, I have two children under 3 which leaves me with approximately 60 minutes with which to spend unpacking each day.  Two, we only took 3 days off work for this, 1.5 of which were spent physically moving boxes.  And last but not least, I did not realize that when we moved in the house was going to be a GROSS, DISGUSTING MESS which would require me spending countless hours to first, clean and disinfect before I put anything of mine into this place. 
 

Let me start by saying that our closing day was less than stress free.  In our contract, we had requested that the carpets and the house be professionally cleaned before closing day.  In the last two hours after we closed on our old house (so we were technically homeless), we found out that the carpets had indeed been cleaned but the old owners had refused to pay the bill.  Technically, that means that there was a 'lean' on the property and we couldn't close unless we wanted to be responsible for the bill.  Also, the wrong legal description of the property had been submitted and they had our names wrong that also had to be corrected.  I swear, it was like Murphy's Law.  Our realtor was wonderful and worked it all out for us.  Because of all that, I didn't ask for a receipt for the professional cleaning because I was worried that it was all going to fall through.  Plus, I figured who doesn't leave their house in clean condition?  I just cleaned our old one from top to bottom, so surely they did too.  Well... that was not the case.
 

Tuesday morning I spent 70 minutes,  (Yes. 7-0 minutes.) cleaning out the washing machine because it was coated/caked with orange liquid fabric softener.  Built up fabric softener apparently does not come off easily and literally has to be scraped off.  Which takes forever.  That was not the half of it.  Kitchen walls were splattered with food, floors hadn't been mopped or swept, there was dust everywhere, cabinets were full of crumbs and stains, and the appliances were ick.  So that's what I did with my entire time off work and started unpacking boxes late Wednesday night.  The house is a disaster. 
 

Oh and one last thing before I stop bitching.  They decided to paint over marks left on the walls which I suppose was maybe nice in theory, even though I could have easily taken those things off with magic eraser.  The walls are flat white and they painted over these spots with glossy white.  So all of those areas are total eye sores.  Yes, we were going to paint anyway but not everywhere all at once.  So every time I look at the walls, I get a teensy bit more angry. 
 

Enough of that.  On the positive side?  I love that we have more space.  I love that we are going to be able to paint/redecorate/add touches to make it our own.  I love the neighborhood and the neighbors seem nice.  It will be great in time. 
This weekend we are headed down to my hometown for my ten-year reunion.  I'm looking forward to seeing all my friends and can't wait to catch up with everyone.  The house stuff will have to wait until Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment