Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Making a house into a home

As we are packing and preparing to move, the thought that we have one last week in this house- our home- makes me so unbelievably sad.  Am I excited to move into our new house?  Absolutely.  I know we need the space for our growing family and our current lack thereof is driving me batty, but I can't help but feel so, so sad about leaving this one behind.  
 
Part of it is that this was the first house we bought.  We painted the walls, picked out the furniture, made it ours.  The other part of it is that this is where we brought my babies home to.  This is the only house they know and it makes me feel terrible to move them out of it.  I worry about Caleb, who is so fueled by routine and has a hard-time with change (just like his momma).  I worry he is going to be sad about leaving, confused about where his stuff is going, ask to go back to the old house.  I'm not worried about Eli, he's pretty go with the flow at this point. 
 
Some people may think we are silly to move right now.  This house is in a similar price range to our current one.  We are basically trading a brand-newish house for a slightly older house (2002- not super old) to have more space.  I would have loved to move into our 'forever house' at this point but we just aren't in that place with me part-time which is okay.  The bones of this house are good, some of the trim/colors are not our style.  We plan to paint, replace fixtures, replace some flooring, do some updating, typical stuff to make it ours.  
 
When we moved in to our current house, we also wanted to paint and decorate but for some reason did so without really any sense of urgency.  We slowly painted a couple weekends here and there, and truthfully never fully finished our master bedroom the way I would have liked to.  Maybe it was because I knew we wouldn't stay very long, or maybe it was that two pregnancies and two babies took up most of my time.  This time however, there is that sense of urgency which I hope sticks with us.  Painting always sounds like such a fun project until you are in it, doesn't it?
 
So as I think about all this moving stuff, I have to be careful in my mind what terminology I use.  Am I moving my babies to a new house?  Yes.  But their home isn't changing. I look forward to making this new house our home.  As fast as is humanly possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment