Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Treasure Each Moment

I decided to call this blog 'Treasure Each Moment' to remind myself in particular to do just that.  It's so easy when things are crazy, to wish for bedtime, wish for this phase to pass, wish for the week to be over.  I can be very guilty of that sometimes.  It's only after I had my second baby and looked back on the milestones reached with my first that I really realized how very fast it was going. 

We're in a 'phase' right now with Eli where he is waking up multiple times a night. Whether it's to eat because he's actually hungry or because he needs comfort I'm not exactly sure.  As I was sitting with him at midnight, then 4, then 4:40 this morning, I kept trying to remind myself that it really doesn't matter why he's awake.  For some reason, he needs me and I know without a doubt that someday I will miss this.  Maybe not so much the lack of sleep, but his need for me.  This time when Daddy doesn't cut it.  When I sit late at night/early in the morning rocking/nursing him to sleep and patting his back.

Caleb is a typical two year old and can go from being sweet as pie to being a cranky, patience-waring little boy in a split second.  There are evenings when I feel like if I have to say "Caleb, stop laying on your brother please." or "Caleb, it's nice you want to share your toys but Eli doesn't need them pushed in his face" or even "Caleb, Eli can't eat big people food yet he only drinks his special milk remember?"  just one more time.....  I try to remember that it's absolutely wonderful that he loves his brother so much (sometimes too much!) and someday we will for sure miss this.  When they are older and busier, I pray that they stay close and are friends but it will probably be never quite like this. 

Even with Josh and I, we constantly crave a moment together.  Time and energy to actually watch a movie on a Friday night without one of us falling asleep.  Being able to eat a hot meal together (gasp!).  But again, someday when it's just us again (sob.....) we're going to wish we were interrupted by a chattering toddler/sweet baby and the house will seem too quiet.  Sometimes when I call my mom after work, I can't get her because she and my dad are out to eat or at a movie.  I tell her it is like they are 18 again!  No one to answer to and complete freedom.  She reminds me that it can be lonely....and that I can believe.

So, every day I hope that just the title of this blog serves as a reminder to me that the days are short and as everyone says, children grow up WAY too fast.  Treasure the moment Amy because in the grand scheme of it all, when we look back, everything is only a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment